Buy Or Lease A Coil Car
Are you looking for a coil car to add to your fleet? Well, we can provide just what you’re searching for. Before you buy or lease, it’s important to understand the cost and purpose of coil cars and how they can benefit your business. Keep reading to learn more about coil rail cars.
What is a Coil Car?
A coil car is a type of freight car specially designed to carry coils (or “cans”) of steel products such as aluminum cans, tin cans, sheet metal, etc. Beverage companies commonly use these types of cars to transport their product from one facility to another. The term “coils” refers to the cylindrical shape of these containers. A typical coil car will have two or three decks with a total capacity of over 200,000 pounds. Coil cars can come open or with a covered transverse trough.
Why Buy a Coil Car?
A coil car is an ideal solution if you need to transport steel coils in bulk quantities. These cars also transport other materials that don’t easily fit into standard boxcars. If you have a lot of material that needs to be moved around, a coil car may be the best option for you. Coil weight capacities can hold up to 200,000 lbs, so you won’t need to worry about overloading your vehicle. You can find coil cars with capacities ranging from 100 to 2,500 cubic feet. Most also can be equipped with lids to cover your commodities if they are susceptible to damage from the elements.
What Are the Advantages of a Coil Car?
There are many advantages to using a coil car instead of a boxcar. Here are some of the most common reasons why people choose this type of transportation:
- Flexibility: The ability to load and unload coils at any time makes them perfect for shipping large amounts of material. This allows you to make changes to your schedule without having to wait until the next day.
- Cost-effectiveness: Because coil cars are so versatile, they tend to be less expensive than their boxcar counterparts. They are also easier to maintain because there aren’t as many moving parts.
- Safety: Boxcars are often prone to tipping over during loading and unloading. However, coil cars are designed to withstand these kinds of situations.
How Much Does a Coil Car Cost?
The price of a coil car depends on its size and weight. Most coil cars come with a refrigerated deck, but you can purchase a non-refrigerated version as well. Prices range from $30,000 to $150,000 per car. It’s important to note that prices vary depending on where you live. In some areas, you could pay much less for a coil car than you would in others.
Can You Buy an Old Coil Car?
Yes, you can! We can provide you with a list of used oil cars to consider purchasing. A new coil car may be expensive, and a used one may provide you with an alternative option. When purchasing a used coil rail car, it’s important to consider the following:
- Condition: Make sure the car you want to purchase is in good condition before making a final decision. Look for signs of damage and wear and tear. Also, check the interior and exterior of the car to ensure everything works properly.
- Size: The bigger the car, the more expensive the price tag. A smaller and older car may be more suitable for your needs and something to consider.
- Refrigeration: Some cars come with refrigeration while others do not. If you plan on storing food inside the car, you should look for a model that does include refrigeration.
What Do Coil Cars Carry?
Coil cars can carry almost anything but are especially helpful for specialized commodities. Some examples include tin or aluminum, steel rods and coils, and sheet metal. These cars are commonly used for transporting steel for automobiles, homes, and construction.
Differences Between a Coil Car and an Open Top Hopper Car
A coil car has a refrigerated deck that contains a series of coils. On the other hand, an open-top hopper car only holds one layer of coils. Both types of cars can carry similar weights, but a coil car will allow you to stack more cargo inside the car. A coil car is a subtype of a gondola car but is typically used for transporting large quantities of steel. Open top hoppers are usually used for other bulk commodities such as grain or coal.
If you’re looking to move a lot of cargo, a coil car will be your best choice.
Can I Lease a Coil Car?
Yes, you can lease a coil car. Many companies offer leasing programs that allow you to rent a coil car for a set amount of time. These leases are usually based on the time you plan to use the car. In some cases, leasing a car may be a better alternative to purchasing one.
There are pros and cons of leasing and buying.
Pros of Leasing
- Lower upfront costs
- Low to no maintenance costs
- No payments until the end of the lease term
Cons of Leasing
- The monthly rental fee may be higher than what you would pay for a new car
- There is no guarantee that you’ll own the car at the end of your lease term
Pros of Buying
- More flexibility in choosing what you want to purchase
- An investment you can recoup by selling or renting it to another
- Will most likely be a lower cost overtime than leasing.
Cons of Buying
- You’re responsible for all repairs and maintenance costs
Give Us a Call
If you are in the market for a coil rail car, give us a call. We can help find you the perfect fit for your growing business and fleet. Let us take the stress out of finding the perfect car and take on the challenge. Contact us today.
Note: If your request applies to more than one car type, please submit the
form separately for each.