Open-Top Hopper Cars are generally used to haul coal, aggregates, and miscellaneous bulk commodities. They can be equipped with air-operated automatic discharge or manual gates. Many have rotary dump capabilities that help with loading and unloading.
It is sometimes surprising to see the tremendous swings in demand for different types of railcars. At one time everyone wanted covered hoppers for frac sand service. Now the demand for open-top hopper cars for ballast service is increasing. It’s a good time to take advantage of the swing and upgrade of demand to expand your fleet. It will pay dividends down the way.
Open-Top Hopper Car Specs
- Small cube Aggregate Hopper Cars range from 2,400 to 2,600 cubic feet cars.
- Large cube Hopper Cars or Gondolas range from 6,800 to 8,160 cubic feet cars.
- Cars built for gross rail load requirements of 263,000 lbs. or 286,000 lbs.
- Manual discharge or automatic air operated discharge gates are available as well as specialized manual and automatic gates for the center and side ballast discharge.
- Rotary dump and overhead crane load extraction are possible with a gondola design and unloading discharge gates are possible with the hopper design.
Welcome to the leading “one-stop” site for railcar solutions! Whether you need to buy, lease, sell or store your rail cars, call upon our experts in the ever-changing marketplace. We serve all rail-related industries.
Railcar Specialists – Our mission is to match each customer with a railcar solution that meets or exceeds its requirements, under the best terms available. Information@RailCarDeals.com